My mom called today to tell me that they were getting custody of my step-sister's (SS) 2.5 week old baby girl. My SS has been in and out of prison for her entire adult life. She's been a drug addict for many years, and just can't seem to stay clean once she's released. She had been in prison for several months when she was admitted to the hospital to have the baby, so thankfully both she and the baby are drug free. (THANK YOU GOD!!!) Mom and Charley (my step-dad) have been given temporary custody of the baby and are picking her up from the hospital today. My SS was sent back to prison several days ago, but with IKE coming through the Houston area, things have been crazy and they haven't had a chance to get my SS to sign the temporary custody release until today. Mom said that Charley wanted to wait on filing for guardianship for a while b/c he didn't want to upset my SS b/c he was afraid she would make things difficult. My SS is also HIV+, and at this point, they don't know if the baby is, and they won't know for sure for about 18 months. They can do an HIV test on her now, but b/c she will carry my SS antibodies for 15-18 months, the tests are likely to come up with a false +.
What mom wanted to know is if J and I were interested in adopting the baby if they are given guardianship of her. Of course the fact that the baby might be HIV+ comes into play, but the more I think about it and pray about it the more I think we should adopt her. I know this will be months down the road, but I want Charley to be in her life, and if she's adopted to someone they don't know, he will only get to see her a few times a year. If we adopt her then he can see her whenever he wishes.
Charley has another daughter, but she and her husband have been having marrital and financial problems for some time now, and she didn't want to bring a baby into that mess. He also has a step-daughter, but they already have 3 children, and they just can't financially handle another child. Charley's mom and dad believe that this is a miracle from God and they think it's the perfect situation for us.
Do any of you have any knowledge about HIV transmission to infants? We think that my SS was given her HIV drugs while she was in prison. She was receiving prenatal care as well, and they would not allow her to have a natural birth b/c of the increased risk of the baby contracting the disease in the birth canal. I told mom to ask the pediatrician what drugs the baby was given right after birth, and if my SS was given HIV drugs during birth. From what I've read online this also decreases the likelihood of transmission. But what I don't know (and I'm hoping someone can help me out here) is what the percentages are of the disease being passed to the baby in the womb.
So, that's what's going on in our house! It's all so crazy and unexpected. I don't want to get excited yet b/c there's a long road to go down. We are thanking God that this precious baby girl made it into the world safely, and we're praying that she is spared from the HIV disease. I know that HIV is no longer a death sentence, and with proper care, she could live a completely healthy life, but that doesn't take away the stigmas society will place on her as she grows up should she contract the disease.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)