Back in mid February, right before Chipmunk turned 3, she got a horrible stomach virus, the noro.virus. Chipmuck had a hard time kicking the virus,and got to where she wasn't eating much except for applesauce. Poor baby was so sick,and lost several pounds!! No one else got the virus, which was weird. I fully expected Little Bit to get it, at th very least. Shortly after Little Bit threw up once, and then got a rash, but hers was strep, which I ended up getting from her because she's my "cuddly, must be held when I'm sick" girl. I didn't mind. :)
Little Bit and I got our antibiotics and were on the mend. But Chipmunk kept having a few days of vomiting only at night followed by a couple good nights, and then more bad nights. We couldn't figure out what was going on. We had been at the pedi several times, but all they cold tell me was that the noro.virus was running rampant, and kids were getting it more than once. I wasn't convinced since she was fine all day, but then at night she was waking up vomiting, and it was ALWAYS between 1-2AM. Our pedi finially ordered an upper GI and blood work after a MONTH of this.
To add even more stress, the weekend before the upper GI, Jon was playing basketball and was knocked to the ground. He was having trouble walking, so I forced him to go to the ER. They did x-rays to find that he had broken his femur up near the ball of his hip, so he was going to need surgery to put pins in. I was overwhelmed with Chipmunk's throwing up in the middle of the night, and now Jon in the hospital and needing surgery followed by a 3 day hospital stay. We have NO family closer than 8 hours away, so I was even more stressed!
My retired step-mom-in-law and on spring break father-in-law were supposed to come help, but they backed out because it wasn't severe enough for them to come. My out of touch FIL somehow got it in his head that Jon's hip was shattered, and he would be an invalid for months. But once they figured out it was the femur they decided that since he would be on crutches that it wasn't worth the trip. WHAT???? Jon can't help with the girl. He can't do the dishes that he's always done. He can't take out the trash or help with bath and bed, but that didn't matter. I made it very clear that they were coming to help ME with the girls since Jon was going to be in the hospital. But that didn't matter. That TOTALLY ticked Jon and me off. I quit calling him with updates and told him he would have to get them from Jon himself or from Jon's mom. When he hadn't heard from Jon or his mom for a couple of days he was freaking out! I laughed! Mean, I know, but I wasn't going to help him get information when he left me hanging. (I'm petty.) So we spent almost $800 to fly my mom up here on a last minute flight. She was missing work, and it was a huge expense for us, when my in-laws wouldn't be missing work or having to fly because they could drive. But in the end it was better that my mom was here. She just sees what needs to be done and does it without asking, so that was a HUGE relief to me! And, I trusted her with the girls. I don't really trust my in-laws with them for long periods of time.
I took Chipmunk for her upper GI the Thursday after Jon's surgery, and magically, her symptoms disappeared. She did reflux once during the test. The only thing our pedi can figure is the virus messed with her tummy so much that it flared her acid reflux that she had as a baby. She put her on Pep.sid, and she's been back to her normal, happy, eating-everything self!!
Jon had his surgery almost 2 weeks ago, and his recovery is going well. He's on crutches until at least April 13th. Jon started working from home this week, and he seems to be doing well. Tired from sitting all day at the table with hi computer, but I think he's on the mend. :) Things are still a bit stressfull and tiring since everything is falling on my shoulders, but we're managing thanks to the many prayers of friends and family, and the generosity of our friends up here. We have meals provided meals for us through the end of March. It is SUCH a relief to not have to worry about meal planning and huge shopping trips for groceries. And our friends are offering to help with the girls a couple times a week to give me a break. We have been overwhelmed with their support and outpouring of love!! God is SOOOO good!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








WOW!!! You've had A LOT on your plate! I hope things are going well, now and Jon is off crutches. Thank goodness for mom's and good friends!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a month you had! Praying that everyone is on the mend and settling down for you now.
ReplyDelete