Me: "Chipmunk, you need to come here so I can put your clothes on you (which I went on to say 5 more times). Chipmunk, are you listening to Mommy?"
Chipmunk: "Uh-uh" (as she shakes her head no).
Me: "I'm going to count to three, and if you don't come here you're going to time out."
Me: "One."
Chipmunk: "Two."
Me: "Two." (said with a snicker)
Chipmunk: "Thee." (Yep, she just counted herself into time-out, and yes, I did laugh.)
Me: "Three." (I get up to go get her.) "Chipmunk, you have to go to time-out b/c you weren't listening to Mommy when I told you to come see me.
Chipmunk sits in time-out for 1 minute and then I go get her.
Me: "Chipmunk, you had to sit in time-out b/c you weren't listening to Mommy. You need to listen to Mommy when I tell you something. Tell Mommy you're sorry for not listening."
Chipmunk: (insert babbling) with a kiss and hug. :)
Me: "I love you, Chipmunk, and you did a great job counting."
Ahhhh disciplining a 14 month old...lol
Disclaimer: Yes, I know I don't do time-out according to "The Sup.er Nan.ny" b/c after I give the warning I count before I send the girls to their "nau.ghty sp.ot", but the counting works for us, so it's gonna continue. I think it's more consistency than anything. :)








I count too! Chad always ask me why I do that because he thinks she should do whatever it is after being asked once but counting works for me!
ReplyDeleteI think counting is great! And I would have been laughing pretty hysterically ! LOL what a cutie pie!
ReplyDeleteI start counting, "one, two..." and Aliya yells, "seven , nine, ten, eleven". Then she heads to timeout. IT'S SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletelol Wait till she gets closer to her 2nd birthday... then everything turns into, "NO!" lol
ReplyDeleteI agree with you - consistency is imperative, regardless of their response. Eventually, it makes a WORLD of difference :) Great job starting so young!!
Kat @ For the Love of Chaos
www.SenileMOMentia.com
I go back and forth with counting. It depends on what L is doing and how dangerous it happens to be. I'm curious though, what do you use as your naughty spot? I'm having a hard time trying to find one that isnt her crib that she'll stay on.
ReplyDelete