Monday, December 6, 2010

This Christmas

Despite the fact that Thanksgiving and Christmas are my two favortie holidays, I am feeling very "blah" this year. Last year was so hectic with the move and Chipmunk's finalization that I didn't really have time to focus on much else. But being away from my friends and family this Christmas really has been hard.

We went to MS for Thanksgiving with Jon's family, and we had a good time. We even drove to Baton Rouge for a couple days to see friends since all of Jon's family was working. It was so great to see our friends. I truly have missed them!!! And the girls LOVED seeing their buddy Benjamin! The way he and Little Bit hugged the first time they saw each other was just priceless. The were so excited to see each other!!! But it made my heart sad b/c I know that they have missed him just as much as I have missed his mom. But on the other hand, it made my heart glad b/c I know that the miles and and time apart hasn't made them forget each other.

I have the house all decorated for Christmas, inside and out!! It was such a joy to be able to decorate this year b/c we moved last Christmas and didn't get to have one decoration up. We bought the girls a tree this year partially b/c I thought they would LOVE having their own tree to touch and look at, but also b/c I wanted them keep from touching the family tree. This is the first year that we have had our tree on hardwood floors with kiddos, so I didn't want them breaking any ornaments. Selfish, I know. I put all my Christmas stuffed animals (from my teaching days) under their tree, and I have several singing and moving snowmen/trees/toys that they have LOVED turning on and watching/dancing with. They love to turn on all the toys at the same time. It's a bit loud and overwhelming, but they love it, and they're making memories, so that's all that matters to me. :)










I bought the girls the Li.ttle Peo.ple Nativity set b/c they were very interested in my Wil.low Tr.ee set. They have loved playing with the Christmas Story characters, and love to point out Baby Jesus. Little People Nativity


We are trying to start some family traditions this year.
  • Holly and Ivy, our Elv.es on the Sh.elf, showed up this year. The girls don't really understand the premise this year, but I think next year they'll really get into it.
  • We have an advent candle, but I think we'll wait a few years before we start lighting them. They're too young to understand at this point.
  • We're going to go look at Christmast lights one night. A local park puts up TONS of lights and lighted figures, and you just drive through the park looking at the lights.
  • A church nearby has a live nativity that you drive thru and listen to a CD of the Christmas Story told. They have real animals that the kids can pet, so I think the girls will love it.
  • And I bought the Litt.le Pe.ople Nati.vity Adv.ent Cale.ndar that should be here in a couple days. I know...I'm late starting this, but I just saw it at a MO.PS meeting on Friday, and loved it! Little People Nativity Advent Calendar
  • Christmas Eve we will bake cookies for Santa and leave them out with milk as well as carrots his reindeer. Then we'll go tot he Christmas Eve service at my mom's church.
  • Christmas morning we'll see what Santa brought and open presents. Then before lunch I'm going to have my mom tell the Christmas story like my grandmother did for us growing up. I actually have a neat way to tell the story with kids, so I'm going to have my mom use that so the girls will have something tangible to hold while Mom (Mimi) is telling the story. My grandmother actually told the storey straight from the Bible, but they're a bit young at this point to sit and listen without having something to look at and do. What God Wants For Christmas
We're heading to TX for Christmas, and I.CAN'T.WAIT!!!! I haven't seen anyone in my family other than my mom since May, so I'm more than excited to get down there! And I'll finally get to meet my niece that was born in August! I can't wait to shower her with kisses and cuddles!!!

I have finished Christmas shopping for the girls, but I still have a few friend and family gifts to buy. Not sure when I'll get that done, but at some point I'm going to have to get it done.

4 comments:

  1. i feel ay it sjust plain hard...we are returning to CA on monay for christmas and i cant wait!!!!!

    your not alone girl i feel the exact same way tho and i love all your traditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great Christmas traditions!

    And the photo of your house....makes me want to sneak right in there. It looks so cozy by the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE all the picts and the great Christmas traditions you all are starting- we have many of the same traditions in our house. One that we do differently is on Christmas morning we have homemade muffins and we put a candle in one and sing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus.
    I just finally got out yesterday and found an advent calendar- I too was late this year. I was disappointed with the selection- LOVE the little peoples one you are getting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! your girls are getting so big. Wishing you and your family the happiest of times and the merriest of Christmases.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers