Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sometimes I feel like a fake mom

As an adoptive mom I know that my girls are mine. They belong to me, and I am their mom and will lay down my life to protect them. But there are times when I'm around other moms who haven't adopted, or when I read articles in magazines about pregnancy and breastfeeding that I feel like a fake mom. Those moments come infrequently, but sadly, they still come. I love our girls with everything that I have in me, more than I have ever loved anyone. And it makes my heart hurt so much when I feel this way, but it happens. I wish it didn't.

Maybe Joseph felt that way at times being Jesus' earthly father, but not His biological father. He did what he needed to do, what he was called to do, but he was raising someone else's son. I don't know if he felt like a fake dad at times, who knows? I'm sure he didn't. He was much more godly than me. I hope he didn't. It's a horrible feeling, even if it's fleeting.

But at the end of the day, this is my family, and I am BEYOND proud to have adopted these beautiful girls. My love for them (and their birthmothers) is deep and unending, feelings of being a fake mom or not! :)

6 comments:

  1. You are soooooo far away from being a Fake mom...how about a fabulous mom...or fantastic mom? Try those instead! Your girls are so lucky. I have gotten to take a peak inside of your lives for so long now; in an odd non-stalkerish sort of way, you are like family to me. You went above and beyond the call of duty with O. Many moms would have walked away from all the doctor visits and "what if's." In fact, a fake mom probably would have. But YOU, Sweet Friend, did not. That makes you ever bit worthy of being a Mom...a real mom who loves her children more than life itself regardless of the what ifs. I wish I could reach through this computer screen and give you a big ol' hug. Chin up! (And I love this pic of your family. Your hair rocks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it *hugs* I've often wondered about Joseph myself...the original DI dad :-)

    BUT You are definitely not a "fake" mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so totally get what you are saying, as I've often felt it myself, but been hesitant to put it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I simply must add, I completely adore your family picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so totally get you!! I have felt this way so often...it has gotten better now that my daughter (and my friends children) is older. We can relate more without always talking about labor or breastfeeding.

    I love this family picture!! You all look gorgeous ;)

    BTW, I love your hair! I recently cut of 20 (!!!) inches off my curly head, but I have been wearing it curly since I don't have a straightener at the moment.

    We are real moms!! even if it doesn't always feel like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand and sometimes I have those feelings as well. Then I remember that my son sees me as his mommy and that's what really matters. Your beautiful daughters look at you and see their mommy. Thanks for this honest post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers