Thursday, March 18, 2010

Taken Aback

I filled out our census form today, and when I put the girls' names in I had to select "biological son or daughter" or "adopted son or daughter". Imagine how that felt like a sock to the stomach. I don't view them as adopted anymore. That doesn't mean that I don't think about their birth parents anymore, but I just think of them as my girls. As I sat there and thought about why they would want to separate the two the only thing I could come us with was that they want to know how many adoptions have taken place since the last census. But what does that mean for next time? I will always have to select biological or adopted. And then I thought, well maybe they want to know how many adoptions have taken place so they can continue with the adoption credits. The more there are the more need for the credit. I would love it if that were the case. We have been able to get about half of Chipmunk's adoption paid off b/c of the credit, so I would love to see families receive that help for years to come. But for all the reasons I could come up with, a part of me would have loved to just cross out biological and adopted and just leave son or daughter. Then let them call me to see which one I should have marked so I can give them an earful. For someone who can't have biological children it's a slap in the face that they can't mark that box. Please don't mistake my feelings for shame. I'm not one bit ashamed to mark the adopted box. In fact, I am very proud of where my girls came from. But I really don't want them to be defined by their adoption. Yes, they WERE adopted, but now they are precious, smart, thriving little girls who have absolutely stolen my heart, and I don't want the first thought in someone else's mind to be "Oh, those are the adopted Haik girls". The problem the whole "biological/adopted" thing bothers me is b/c it's a hard fact to have to admit that I will never be able to mark the biological box without going into debt for treatments that aren't guaranteed to work b/c of my stupid body. And just when I think we're past that sad, lonely part of our lives, it comes up and slaps me in the face again. Stupid IF!! Grrr!!!

10 comments:

  1. I plan to leave that part blank. It is not required by law so I am not going to answer. I think its just another way for people to call out adopted children as different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also paused before marking the box. Then thought along the same lines as you. I'm glad it wasn't just me being sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way as I filled ours out this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't opened ours yet, but thanks for the heads up, I would have been shocked. I am a little sensitive right now (stupid PMS!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that too and thought to myself...how do I answer that...when our DD isn't either of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wondering where my head and heart is in all of this, didn't pause a second when I marked the adopted box. I'm proud my child is adopted, and although I have thought of her as mine from day one, I don't want to take that special part of her journey away from her, or her birthmom. humm... something for me to ponder on this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed those distinctions too and it kinda bothered me, thinking to our future with bio and adopted kids...it rubbed me the wrong way. I can see why it would bother you too. stupid census

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why does that even matter?
    Stupid census.
    Stupider IF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I am so glad you did this post and I glad to know that I was not the only feeling this way. I too was conflicted about which to mark as well as what to put for race being as my children are half Korean and half caucasion. I hate the reminders of IF. I hope you are right about the whole credit thing! THANKS for the post:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers