So today is my birthday, and I'm really struggling with it. I'm not struggling with the number. I'm struggling with the fact that I don't think of myself as that number. I still think of myself as a 20-something year old (just a lot smarter). Not a 36 year old. Physically, with the arthritis that I've had since I was 17, some days I feel like a 70 year old, but as far as psycologically, I just don't feel 36. Honestly, I think I wrote this same post last year. lol I know 36 isn't old. And hopefully, God willing, I will have many more years with my dear hubby and my girls. I am so thankful for another year to love on my family and friends! I am truly blessed!!!
About a week ago, Little Bit's binkies just suddenly disappeared. But when she got sick and was dry heaving in her bed, (while I was laying in our bed trying not to do the same thing) Jon gave her a binkie b/c it was the only thing that would soothe her. I wasn't at all upset that he did that, she needed comfort, but even still, we had to start over with out "no-binkie" countdown. And today marks day 3 of Little Bit no longer having her binkie at night or for naps. She's done EXTREMELY well without it, and in it's place I gave her a super soft "minkee snuggle" from here. She loves it! When it's time to get in bed, she goes right over, grabs her "lovey" from the bed, and crawls in my lap in the rocker. Well, most days she crawls in my lap. Some days she just wants to be put in the bed, and to be honest, I think I am having a harder time with the fact that she's almost 18 months old and sometimes just wants to crawl in bed without being rocked, than I am with the fact that I'm another year older.
In Chipmunk news...she took 4 steps by herself this morning!! What a beautiful birthday present to see this morning!!! She took her first steps a few weeks ago, and since then she hasn't really wanted to walk at all, but then again, she has spent much of that time sick with ear infections. I'm just so glad that we've finally gotten her on an antibiotic that's working to clear up the ear infections. I'm so ready to have my happy, smiley baby back.
And the BEST present of all...we are ALL feeling better! Praise the Lord!!!!! We have "de-cootied" all the toys, bathrooms, bedrooms, etc...and we're praying that we can stay away from ANY sickness for a long time! I think I've had all the ickies and sickies that I can stand! lol
------------------------------------------------
KimboSue asked if I quit Little Bit's binkie cold turkey. Not really. It was more of a process, with the end result being that they just disappeared. At 12 months old I started talking to her about how binkies were just for naps and betime and car rides, and I introduced her "lovey" to her. When she would get upset we would look for her "lovey" to turn her attention away from her tears. And as she hit 15 months I quit giving her binkie to her in the car and it was only for bedtime. Then about a week ago they just disappeared. She really hasn't asked for it, which really surprised me. And when she finds Chipmunk's binkies she always brings them to me and never gives a thought to her own. Now, we have yet to get an immunization without a binkie. I may wish that I hadn't started so early once we get into the doctor's office. But, I'll have "lovey" there to take binkie's place, and I'll also have her beloved sippy cup as well. I have read that that the closer they get to 2 years old before giving it up the harder it is for them. However, all kids are different, so you have to do what you think is best for your child. My SIL waited until my niece was 3 and they gave them to the binkie fairy, and that worked really well for them. It's just a personal preference, but since this process worked so well I decided to do the same with Chipmunk when she turned 12 months old a few weeks ago. I think it will be much harder for Chipmunk to let go of hers, but she might surprise me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Miles still takes his "sucker" (Husband hates the words paci and binky) for naps and bed time. I feel the weaning starting soon...Did you just do it cold turkey?
ReplyDeleteNot really. It was more of a process, with the end result being that they just disappeared. At 12 months old I started talking to her about how binkies were just for naps and betime and car rides, and I introduced her "lovey" to her. When she would get upset we would look for her "lovey" to turn her attention away from her tears. And as she hit 15 months I quit giving her binkie to her in the car and it was only for bedtime. Then about a week ago they just disappeared. She really hasn't asked for it, which really surprised me. And when she find Chipmunk's binkies she always brings them to me and never gives a thought to her own. Now, we have yet to get an immunization without a binkie. I may wish that I hadn't started so early once we get into the doctor's office. But, I'll have "lovey" there to take binkie's place, and I'll also have her beloved sippy cup as well. I have read that that the closer they get to 2 years old before giving it up the harder it is for them. However, all kids are different, so you have to do what you think is best for your child. My SIL waited until my niece was 3 and they gave them to the binkie fairy, and that worked really well for them. It's just a personal preference, but since this process worked so well I decided to do the same with Chipmunk when she turned 12 months old a few weeks ago. I think it will be much harder for Chipmunk to let go of hers, but she might surprise me.
ReplyDeleteWhen our son was 12 months old his nukkie (Paci or whatever you call it) was only for nap time/bed time (sometime mommy gave in and let him have it a little bit more) but then at almost 17 months old they disappeared and he has done really good without them except the fact that he wakes up now about an hour to hour and a half early in the mornings. He did move onto a blankie that he carries around with him everywhere.
ReplyDeletePS I forgot to wish you a Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!
ReplyDelete