Friday, December 12, 2008

Grrrrrr

Mom called this morning to tell me about the court hearing. They were set for 8:30, but when they got there the judge wasn't there. She wasn't going to be in until 12:00. So the clerk handled everything. And all she did was tell our lawyer how the judge normally does termination cases, and she wouldn't terminate until the adoptino papers had been filed. She doesn't want to terminate and then have an adoptive family back out, leaving the child with no parents. Ummmm, that's why my parents were there...to be the interim guardians should something happen to us. I was so frustrated!! I understand why she would handle things this way in foster cases, but Little Bit was never in foster care, and she has family members who can be legal guardians until an adoption can take place, so it just doesn't make sense. Now...had the judge actually been present, our lawyer could have argued that, but since it was just a clerk he couldn't b/c she can't make a ruling. I mean, it's good b/c the adoption paperwork will be filed sooner, but it's bad b/c the BM's rights still haven't been terminated.

They go back in 2 weeks, and at that time our lawyer will have our adoption paperwork and the guardianship papers in hand so that in the event that the judge changes her mind he will have all the bases covered. The clerk did accept the paperwork to advertise for the BF, so that was one step in the right direction.

My main frustration is that our case was even on the docket when the judge wasn't supposed to be there until 12:00. Maybe that's a common practice in family court, I don't know.

I called and had our home study sent to our lawyer so he can start the adoption paperwork. Maybe that will help him prove to the judge that we're serious. He said they may want us to do their own home study...why???? We have one from a licensed agency. We're praying they'll accept the one we have. And if we do have to do another one, we'll at least have something to go from. But I won't be happy if they don't accept our current one!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry girl! I know you are frustrated. I hope with the holiday's approaching that the next 2 weeks fly by and that the BM's rights are terminated! You are almost there---just a little while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Jon's surgery went well, but sorry to hear about the judge not showing up. Hopefully everything will go smoothly in a few weeks and your worries will be over soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers