Friday, September 4, 2009
People Never Cease to Amaze Me
I went shopping at Wal.Mart today for some last minute food items for Little Bit's party, and I stepped away (and by away I mean 3 feet away) from the buggy to get some tomatoes. And as I was coming back to the buggy I heard a little old white lady asking a black lady who was standing near my buggy, "Where did you get the white baby?" (Picture me bug-eyed!) As I stepped closer to the buggy she realized they were mine and asked the obvious, "Oh, so they're your babies?" I replied with a proud, "Yes they are." Then she has the nerve to ask me, "Do they have the same daddy?" Yep, she went there! I politely explained that they did not have the same birthfather b/c they were adopted. To which her reply was, "Oh, that's what I thought." REALLY??? That's what you thought? Then why did you insult the black woman standing there and me as well by asking if they had the same daddy as if to imply I had been unfaithful? Seriously, if she hadn't been a little old lady I wouldn't have been so nice. I understand that people her age grew up in a different time, but still...times have changed and adopting children of a different race is more common now that it used to be. I can only pray that by the time our girls are old enough to understand people won't be asking these stupid and very personal questions because they will think of adoption. I guess this just goes to show that we are going to have to make sure the girls know they are adopted as early as possible so they aren't hurt or totally confused by people's questions. I'm fine with people asking if they are sisters. And I'm even okay with people asking how old they are and then asking if they are both ours. I get question like that every time we are out (along with LOTS of stares and comments of how brave we are.) But it's questions like the ones I got today that make me want to scream. If my girls had been old enough to understand what she was talking about I would have been furious with her b/c I would have been the one left to pick up the pieces and answer all their question about why she would ask that. People just don't have filters anymore, and any topic is fair game. When did that happen? I have NEVER asked someone with children of a different race anything about their children. I have just assumed they adopted. I hope and pray more people will be more educated about adoption b/c of interractions with us, but it's still hard to swallow their questions sometimes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I'm sorry you had to deal with such insensitivity today, but you did handle it with such grace.
ReplyDeleteI have commented a few times. I was adopted and know all the rude/stupid/mean things people can say about that. trust me though those girls will know that they are in a better place and won't pay too much attention to the mean things. Also I have twin girls around your youngest one's age. Trust me I know you must get stopped all the time. I get stopped lots and it is just CRAZY the stuff people say and ask. If you ever need to talk to anyone who has been there being adopted please feel free!
ReplyDeleteWow that was rude of her. I hope people like that are few and far between in your lives.
ReplyDeleteI may have been inclined to say that yes, they do have the same father because let's face it, they do!
what a difficult experience...so sorry that you have to deal with people's ignorance on such a frequent basis. (but I love sacredandscarred's response above about having the same father!)
ReplyDeletePeople are so stupid!
ReplyDeleteAnd rude!
And mean!
i just found your blog and have to find time to catch up and get to know you - our littles are close in age, too!
ReplyDelete