Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake in VA???

Yep! That's what it was!!

Yesterday at 1:51pm (approximately 30 minutes after I got the girls to bed), I was sitting on the couch having just finished my lunch, and all the sudden the house started to shake! I jumped up not really knowing what was going on. My heart was pounding 90 to nothing! I immediately ran upstairs to check on the girls, and they were both alseep. I then ran downstairs and looked out the windows. The plates were shaking in the china cabinet, and the house was rumbling. I had no idea what was going on. At first my thought was it was military exercises at Qua.ntico. (I went to school very close to For.t Ho.od, and it was common to hear booms and feel the earth shake). But this was different. I tried to call Jon to see if he felt the same thing, but the phone was out. I couldn't even get a cell call out. So I texted him. Sure enough, it was an earthquake. A 5.8 magnatude. Now, for those who are used to earthquakes that's nothing, but to this southern girl who had no idea when we moved to VA that we were moving somewhere that had the possibility of earthquakes, I was totally freaked out! If we were living in Hawaii or California, I would have totally known what it was when it happened, and perhaps I wouldn't have been so freaked out. (Though I'm thinking the first time to experience a quake makes everyone a little freaked out.) But VA??? I had no idea that could happen here! So it wasn't in the back of my mind as a possibility. It ended up lasting about 30 seconds from beginning to end, but that was 30 seconds that I don't particularly want to experience again. lol Give me hurricanes over earthquakes any day! I can prepare for a hurricane. There's no preparing for an earthquake!

All I can say is yesterday was WILD!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers