Thursday, July 9, 2009

Children's Books on Adoption

I spent this morning searching Ama.zon for children's books on adoption. What spurred the thought was something I found while cleaning out our office (that's a whole other post). I ran across the folder that our agency sent home with us the day we brought Chipmunk home. And after thumbing through it I was about to throw the folder away (trying to declutter my life) when I came across a pamphlet with books about adoption. I'm not a huge reader, and honestly, I wasn't interested in books for us to read on how to raise our adoptive children, but I am a collector of children's book (it became an obsession when I was in college getting my education degree). I was in awe of the pages of children's books on the subject, but more specifically, a book called "Happy Adoption Day!". My heart lept at the thought of Little Bit's adoption day just over a month away, so I wanted to buy that book for her (and one for Chipmunk's day as well).But after seeing the prices in the catalog I figured I could get them a little cheaper (and I did). Once I got on the site I found several books that sounded very interesting.


Happy Adoption Day! by John McCutcheon

A Blessing from Above (Little Golden Book) by Patti Henderson

How I Was Adopted (Mulberry Books) by Joanna Cole

Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale by Karen Katz

We See the Moon by Carrie A. Kitze

I Don't Have Your Eyes by Carrie A. Kitze

Forever Fingerprints: An Amazing Discovery for Adopted Children by Sherrie Eldridge

I Wished for You: an Adoption Story by Marianne R Richmond -- this one is the Mom's Choice Award Recipient, Book of the Year Award, Creative Child Magazine

My dear, sweet bloggy friend, Kim, gave me Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis, and I doubt she had any clue how much it meant to me that she gave me 1. a children's book, and 2. a sweet book on adoption. I highly recommend that book to any adoptive mommy. It's about the exciting trip that a couple made to go get their sweet little treasure. It brings tears to my eyes every time I read it, and neither of our stories played out they way it did in the book.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY BOOKS TO GET HERE!!!!! YEA!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great list! Have you heard the happy adoption day song? It will melt your heart!!! BTW the book was amazing it helped us so much and now we just gotta do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! Thanks for sharing it. I hope to order some of them. I already have the Jamie Lee Curtis book and I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's one by Todd Parr called We Belong Together. I love his other books but I'm not sure about this one - it kind of has a "poor needy adoptive child" tone which doesn't sit right with me. Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey...got your message. we did get a vacancy policy. the reason the buyer was having trouble was because of the number of claims we had on the house. there were 5 total, 3 were storm related, and two were foundation related. They couldn't get it with who they wanted, but I did find out they could get some and told my realtor about it...so she basically told them to get some, or pull out. The option period ends on Wednesday...so we'll see if they stick around. I know they want the house...so...its just time to pray hard!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers