BOTH SUCK!!!
We took Chipmunk to the doctor Thurday to make sure that it was indeed colic that she had and not something more serious. Nope...it's colic. The evenings/nights are horrible. Even the days are bad. She's just a fussy baby. Probably b/c she feels bad all the time. No one really knows what colic is and why 20-25% of babies have it, but most think that it's reflux, whether silent or more pronounced. Chipmunkdoesn't spit up much, but Lordy can that baby burp. She'd put any man to shame. My mom heard about a specialist in Houston, Dr. Bryan Vart.abe.ndian. He's written a book called, Colic Solved. We may go see him just to get his take on what's going on. I'm sure insurance won't pay for the visit since he's out of network, but it will be worth it. Our doctor doesn't seem to think that Chipmunk has reflux issues b/c she doesn't spit up and she doesn't fuss after a bottle. In fact, the only time she's truly content is after a bottle. But since Dr. Vartabendian believes that all colic is reflux, then his diagnosis would contradict our ped. I don't know. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here. But the crying (read: screaming) is so hard to take for hours on end. I feel bad for Chipmunk. She can't help it, but if there's anything that I can do to make her feel better then I'm gonna do it, no matter what it takes.
Chipmunk was a day shy of 5 weeks at her appt and she weighed 10lbs 10oz (75%) and 22" long! The girl can throw back a bottle, and she doesn't miss one, let me tell ya!! Her hematoma on her head has gone down tremendously. It won't be long before we won't even know it was there. Chipmunk has been smiling for a couple weeks now, but I finally caught one on camera yesterday. When I see that smile it makes all the hours we spend listening to the crying so worth it.
Little Bit is doing well. At her 6 month appt on Friday she weighed 14lbs 14oz (25%) and she was 25 3/4" long (approx 50%). Pretty soon she'll be getting Chipmunk's hand-me-downs. All 4 of her serum HIV tests have come back negative!!! PRAISE GOD!!! Now we just have to wait for September for her antibody test. We're praying that all of her birthmom's antibodies have left her body, and that test comes back negative as well. If that's the case, then we never have to worry with HIV again!!! YEA!!!
She is sitting up really well, though she gets a little lazy at times. Her favorite foods are applesauce, green beans and squash right now. We haven't tried them all, but we're almost there. We still have one more veggie and 2 more fruits to go. Little Bit loves to smile. That girl can flash a smile at anyone who will look, especially the boys. We were sitting in Wen.dy's the other day, and she kept looking at this one guy and grinning. Finally he waved at her, and she shot him the biggest smile. Little flirt! We're in trouble!
Little Bit has been so fussy lately, and when I looked in her mouth her gums were so swollen. The teething is coming. I was praying we wouldn't cross that bridge until after Chipmunk was over the colic. I can handle one fussy baby at a time, but two is really difficult. I know all this will pass...I'm just hoping it passes quickly!! I know I will regret saying that when we're approaching their first birthdays, but right now...the fussing is so hard to handle.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I feel for you with the double whammy . . . but it is such a blessing for me to be able to read of your joys!
ReplyDeleteBless your heart! You are in my prayers. Both of your girls are just beautiful! Olivia smile does melt your heart...she is precious!
ReplyDeleteWe have seen Dr Vartabedian! I typed a whole message earlier and lost it. If this works I will do it again.
ReplyDeleteOkay, it worked.
ReplyDeleteLet me say, they are absolutely beautiful! I pray each night that you will be able to sleep, I only had one not sleeping so I can not imagine what you are going through!
We saw Dr Vartabetian for about a year and a half when Brady was little. He is a great doctor but one thing I found is that he is used to seeing such extreme cases that he was very quick with Brady. Not that he was not concerned but we ran into that with a lot of specialists when he was little. I was very grateful he was not as bad off as so many of the kids we saw, but he was my baby and I wanted to know what was wrong! Brady screamed all the time as a baby and at first I did not think it was anything because he did not spit up. After a few months, I found myself praying that it was something other than colic b/c I was about to lose my mind!! He had some tests done and all the acids were traveling up and down and burning his throat and esophagus which the doctor said was worse than actually getting it out! He was put on medicine and it got a little better. The difference is with him, he hated the bottle and fought it. He also was not gaining weight so it was having effects that don't seem to be happening with Macy but I feel your pain!