Thursday, March 12, 2009
Colic
For the last 3 nights Chipmunk has screamed for hours. She's been fed, she's got a dry diaper, we're holding her...there is no reason for her to be crying. Except for colic. Do I really have a colicky baby? She tightens up her fists and screams. We are able to soothe her for about 2 minutes and then she starts again. This goes on for 2-3 hours, and it always starts somewhere between 8:30-10:00. Oh my gosh...it's exhausting. Little Bit was the easiest baby other than the fights at naptime, so when we heard about Chipmunk we joked that she was going to be high maintenance. I won't go so far as to say she's high maintenance yet, but the girl has got some chords! The only thing I know to do is lock both of us in the half bath on the opposite side of the house as Little Bit's room so we don't wake her up. I take a couple pillows in there, put the toilet lid down, and get comfy. J and I are tag-teaming b/c it's just too hard to handle for very long without a respit. I'm going to try and get her an appointment tomorrow. I would hate to think that we've missed something by just thinking it's colic and waiting it out. In the meantime...please say a prayer for us. It's so hard to hold her while she screams and know there's nothing that you can do to make her feel better. It breaks my heart! And to top it off...our dog Maddie goes nuts when she's crying. She's running around the house and barks several times as if to say, "Can't you people do something for my baby?" It's sad and so heartbreaking!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I am sorry to hear about the colic and hope it's nothing more serious. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. I hope she grows out of it quickly. I can't imagine taking care of two young babies, but I bet you're doing a great job! Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteOh Janna I feel your pain!! Our daughter Ellie had colic pretty bad and it sounds just like what yall are going through. Saying a prayer for you all right now!!
ReplyDelete~Christy
Charleigh never really had colic either. Have you read the Happiest Baby on the Block? It's a great help for fussy babies, colic or not. :)
ReplyDeleteI know you aren't asking for advice, but I thought I would share.
I know swaddling, shhhsssssing, and jiggling really helped C get over those fussy moments. (the few she had) Trying turning on the blow dryer or vacuum cleaner, that still calms Charleigh down to this day. They are used to all those loud noises.
And if she does have Colic, get Dr Brown bottles and Mylicon. I think that was a big reason why C never had much colic was those wonderful bottles. :)
Wow. That sounds so difficult. Poor baby and poor mama. I hope you find something to comfort and ease her symptoms, soon! I second the Happiest Baby on the Block techniques. We still use some of them.
ReplyDeleteouch! I hope she gets better soon.
ReplyDeleteMy first daughter had colic so I understand what you and your daughter are going thru! Abby would start her screaming around 11pm and would finally pass out around 6am and then she would only sleep if I was holding her. We tried gripe water, and the best baby on the block techniques and none of them helped much. The only thing that made hers go away was changing her formula. Our peditrician recommended we put her on Similac Alimentum. The Alimentum has completely broken down protien and is used for kids that have milk and soy sensitivity. This def does end up costing more $$$ but was totally worth it. Her belly issues and colic were gone in about a week and she was sleeping thru the night!! We were able to ween her off of it and back to regular Similac around 8 months.
ReplyDelete