''Some people here (in the US) think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?'This just shows how much of a bubble she lives in. What is her solution for those mothers who can't breastfeed b/c they can't produce enough supply to sustain their newborn's life? And how about adoptive moms who don't have the option of breastfeeding??? Or what about those who have to return to work and find it difficult to find time to pump without being ridiculed by other coworkers for lengthy pumping breaks??? Are we less of a mom b/c we can't/don't breastfeed? Should we not be allowed to parent???
I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.''
Because of all the backlash from her uneducated and insensitive statement, she wrote this on her blog...
"My intention in making a comment about the importance of breastfeeding has nothing to do with the law. It comes from my passion and beliefs about children,"I have a passion and love for children, but I won't go around and judge other moms for not doing things the way that I do. Breastfeeding is a personal choice, and a city, state or federal law shouldn't enforce something that should be left up to the parent of a child. Each child is different, each mother is different, and breastfeeding isn't a one size fits all deal.
Shut up and model, Gisele!!! Not all opinions should be verbalized. Moms don't need any more judgement than they already get. Find some way to encourage other moms rather than making those who can't or don't breastfeed feel badly for their choice, or in many instances, a choice that was made for them.








This had me so annoyed when I saw the story on GMA. How can she back peddle and say that it had "nothing to do with the law"when she clearly said it "should be a worldwide law?" This kind of stuff is the whole reason behind mommy wars and feeds into so many mothers feeling like failures. I never once thought I wouldn't breastfeed, but when my son's needs weren't being met because of his lack of the suck, slide, swallow reflex I chose tho bottle feed. I tried and tried to pump, but my supply dwindled to nothing. So should I have been fined or thrown in jail in her eyes. Models should be seen and not heard!
ReplyDeleteOr those of us that had breast reductions out of medical necessity. I agree with Somewhat...this is the crap that fuels mom-petitions.
ReplyDelete