Monday, June 22, 2009

Jon's First Father's Day

The day started as all Sundays do...I got up around 7:00, jumped in the shower and then headed off to the kitchen to get the biscuits in the oven. But on this day, on my way back to the bathroom to finish getting ready I walked to Jon's side of the bed, gently rubbed his side and whispered, "Happy Father's Day". Jon rolled over, opened one eye, smiled the sweetest smile, said, "Thank you" and then kissed me. For 3 years I've thought about how I would wish Jon a Happy Father's Day for the very first time, and though this one went nothing like I had planned, it was absolutely perfect.

We each got ready and then went in to wake the girls, and got them dressed and fed. Before we loaded up to head to church we stopped to take Father's Day pictures. Jon looked so cute holding both of the girls. He was so proud!

Jon's mom came into town this weekend so she could be here for his first Father's Day. I was so glad she did. She brought him a cake and a t-shirt that said, "Cool Dad" with a picture of Snoo.py on it.

After church we went to Jon's favorite pizza place, Reg.ine.llis. And then we headed home to get the girls in bed for their naps. While I did a few things around the house Jon and his mom sat and watched one of Jon's all-time favorite movies...The Prin.cess Bri.de. He can watch that over and over again. And honestly, he and I don't have the same taste in movies, but I have to say it's one that I can watch over and over again. My favorite part is the wedding scene...for those who have seen it, you'll know why.

After the girls woke up Jon opened his cards and present from them. I started a new tradition...I let the girls "sign" their own card with their handprint and a scribble. One day they'll be able to sign their own name, but I think I'll always have them trace their hand. I think it will be fun to see how their hand size has grown over the years. The girls got him a cap and shirt that said, "World's Greatest Dad". I know it's not the most fantastic gift of all time, but it's something that I've wanted to buy him for so long, so I just couldn't resist. I got him a new spa.ce pe.n. For those who have no idea what one is...it's a pen that will write upside down and under water, but the greatest thing is, it's small and will fit in Jon's pants pocket. His brother gave one to him a few years ago for Christmas, and over the years we have laughed that that thing has 9 lives...it has been lost and found again several times over. But during the turn-around it fell out of his pocket when he was out in the field, and he wasn't able to find it. I think he went into a slight depression that day. So while the sp.ace pe.n isn't exactly the BEST Father's Day gift in the world...it means a lot to him, and I know he'll enjoy reaching in his pocket and pulling out his beloved spa.ce pe.n again.

**************************************************
I know there are so many out there who would have longed to wish their husband a Happy Father's Day, but this year went by again without you being able to do so. My thoughts and prayers are with you!! I pray that next year your husbands are holding your precious baby in their arms beaming with pride.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally tearing up!! It sounds like he had the PERFECT Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-
    I saw your blog on the mom blogs today. I really like it! My husband and I are in the domestic infant adoption process now. It really is a wonderful blessing! Congrats on your two beautiful daughters.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!! But please be nice! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers